It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

Mon Reading Button PB to YAToday is day 2 of my blog. I am excited to share with you what I have been reading this week and what I plan to read next week. I am using my friends Jen and Kellee’s awesome meme idea. Please check out their amazing blog Teach Mentor Texts.

The book Whisperer

I noticed with the help of Donalyn Miller ( a.k.a author of The Book Whisperer ) and some of my other amazing Nerdy Book Club friends on Twitter that I am a fantasy geek! Okay, I kind of already knew that from my love of all things Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling -Why have you forsaken us?) At any rate, my 2nd grade students love, love….I mean LOVE nonfiction books. Me? Eh. Not so much. This is a problem! I need to be able to recommend books to my students that they love. So with that in mind….I am taking up the Book Gap Challenge that Donalyn Miller has championed- which is  to read more books that I wouldn’t normally read. So I am going to try and fill in the gaping hole that is my nonfiction children’s book knowledge starting NOW. Some of the book titles today start to fill in that gap.

BOOKS I READ THIS WEEK!

Please look for these amazing titles at your local library!

I have a Dream

I Have A Dream  paintings by Kadir Nelson

Powerful pictures led me to tear up as I was reading this legendary and hopeful speech from Martin Luther King, Jr.  You can find the entire Speech at the back of the picture book. The book also comes with a CD of the original speech as well.  A perfect book to read with your students this winter.

I am giving I Have A Dream 5 powerful speeches out of 5 powerful speeches!

fifty-cents-and-a-dream1Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington by Jabari Asim

WOW! Just Wow! I had no idea that Booker T. Washington traveled 500 miles mostly by foot to the Hampton Institute. He only had 50 cents left in his pocket when he finally arrived there to get an education. What an inspirational story!

I give Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington 5 extremely long walks out of 5 extremely long walks.

Booker-T.-Washington-Quotes-2

CURRENTLY READING!

liar and spyLiar And Spy by Rebecca Stead

I started my blog and got a bit behind on my reading. I am looking forward to finishing up this enjoyable middle grade book this week.

So what have you been reading this week? What are your favorite types of books and where are your book gaps? I look forward to hearing from you in the comments section.

John-Schu-headshotHappy Blog Birthday to Mr. Schu!

My blog is only 2 days old but my friend John Schu’s blog is now 2 years old! His blog is one of the BEST around for information on children’s books! Check it out! I’m wishing a very Happy Blog Birthday to Mr. Schu’s blog Watch. Connect. Read.

Advertisements

18 Responses to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

1. donalynm says:

I am thrilled that you have started your blog and I look forward to reading upcoming posts. While I am a fantasy/ science fiction fan, I really will read anything (cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, car manuals, airplane safety cards…). Thanks for sharing these great titles with us. I think that Kadir Nelson’s I Have a Dream is beautiful.

2. scovdaddy97 says:

Congratulations on your blog. I am excited to follow it. As you can see I finally wrote a post. I am such a slacker…but my blog has been on my mind! : )

3. Gigi McAllister says:

Great first IMWAR post! I finished Liar and Spy and I Have a Dream recently and enjoyed them both. Happy New Year and New Blogging!

4. Kathy Martin says:

What is it with kids today? My younger students love nonfiction too. Of course, with all the beautiful nonfiction out there today, I really can understand why kids choose it. I should read more of it myself. Like you I am more eager to read fiction.

• Niki Barnes says:

Thanks Kathy, Yes! I love fiction but I agree with you that there are some great nonfiction books out there now for kids. 🙂 I can’t wait to read some of it in the New Year.

5. I loved Liar and Spy. Such a great story. My kids also love nonfiction! I’m with you, it’s not my thing, but I know I’ve got to change. I’m going to check out the book gap challange. I’ve got to find the Booker T. Washington book sounds really good. I’m going to have to find it!

6. spillarke says:

I haven’t read Liar and Spy, but I loved When You Reach Me, so I’m adding this one to my list! Congratulations on your blog’s beginnings! Such fun to read, think and write in community with such smart teachers.

• Niki Barnes says:

Thank you! I haven’t read When You Reach Me but I heard it is wonderful! It is on my huge TBR pile! I will share more about Liar and Spy next week! 🙂

7. mrschu81 says:

Thank you for the shout-out! Have a great day! -John

8. I loved When You Reached Me, and enjoyed Liar & Spy. I tend to read mostly science fiction and fantasy, so I plan to broaden my reach in nonfiction this year as well. So excited to see you have started your blog!

9. Beth S. says:

You are a rockstar blogger already and you’ve only been at it for a day! 🙂 Everyone loves your new blog! Congrats!

Don’t forget to link your “It’s Monday!” post to Jen and Kellee’s host post every week:

We want as many eyes to see your awesome blog posts as possible! 🙂

10. I’ll be curious to see/hear what you think of Liar & Spy. I just finished it last week.

• Niki Barnes says:

Thanks Amanda! I should be done with it hopefully today or tomorrow. So far I am liking the characters. I’m a little over half way done with it.