The Top 10 Reasons Why I am afraid to write!

nerdlution-button-tiny-01

The Top 10 Reasons Why I Am Afraid to Write!

1. My writing will not be productive.

2. I don’t have anything important to say.

3. I will get rejected.

4. My writing won’t make a difference.

5. My writing will be utter crap.

6. I won’t be able to follow through with my ideas.

7. I won’t want to share my writing.

8. My mean college poetry writing teacher will come back to haunt me.

9. I can’t write like…. (insert amazing author here).

10. Trying = Failing.

“Go out into the world and run straight at whatever you fear the most.”

— Kerr Cuhulain

Thanks to my friends and my Nerdlution goal I am writing again. It is scary and not very pretty. But I am so thankful for this challenge. What fears are you facing and beating with your Nerdlution goals? I’d love to hear about your struggles and your accomplishments in the comments section.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Nerdlution and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Top 10 Reasons Why I am afraid to write!

1. onathought says:

These are my reasons too. It is a scary thing even though I love it. I even remember my mean college poetry professor! This year I have really been talking to my kids about the power of struggle and failure… But I need to remind myself of that too! Keep writing! You do have important things to say!

• Niki Barnes says:

Thank you! 🙂 And what is up with the mean poetry teachers?! 😉 I think it is important as a teacher to write- It helps my students know that I struggle too.

2. Oh my goodness…ten days of #Nerdlution inspires reflection doesn’t it? I think any writer, no, EVERY writer feels one or all of these at one time or another. I love the quote you included too. I’m writing more about that fear thing soon. I can’t wait to hear what you think! Thanks for a terrific post…and KEEP WRITING! The world needs to hear your story…the one ONLY YOU can tell!

• Niki Barnes says:

Thanks Michelle! Yes! Nerdlution is awesome! I am enjoying your blog posts as well! Please tag me on Twitter when you write about your fears. I’m sure it will be an inspiring post. I love how we have each other to lean on for support! 🙂

3. Everyone is afraid. It helps me to write first and foremost for myself. I find it calming to write — I process my thoughts, feelings and ideas. Almost like having a conversation with myself. That way I don’t worry about it being good or important or making difference. Hitting send is always hard, but what do you have to lose? Keep going! We all have a story to tell and we all learn from each other’s stories.
    Clare

4. I think a struggle is when you write something in a vulnerable moment and then put it out there. Sometimes you wish you could just grab it back. My favorite writers, though, are the ones who put it all out there – the good, the bad, the ugly. That’s where we see ourselves. Those are the writers we love because they’re real. That’s the challenge. Be real, be honest, be who you are in every moment.

5. Robert Young says:

“How do I know what I think until I see what I say?”

― E.M. Forster

p.s. Writing in front of your kids is one of the most effective ways to improve their writing skills. Really.

6. Franki says:

I’m with you on all of these fears. And after writing for 12 days straight, I looked at my writing and decided I’m right! Hopeful it will come together but so bad right now!

7. Robert Young says:

“Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.”

Bad writing becomes good with rewriting; good writing becomes better with rewriting; better writing becomes your best with rewriting. There is a thread here.

8. Niki Barnes says:

Thanks Robert! Great advice!